$$\LaTeX$$ Formula Editor for Blogger

Saturday, March 2, 2013

From Auger to Fermi LAT

The Pierre Auger Observatory is the result of many years of hard work. The purpose of the installation in Argentina, is to use the Universe as a big High Energy Physics Laboratory.

The Fermi LAT is a Space Based Telescope to study Gamma Rays.

This note is autobiographical, I was invited by Professor Arnulfo Zepeda Dominguez, to join the Auger effort in 1995. Eventually the University of Puebla, where I was working at the time, joined this effort. I met Professor Don Hooper at Fermilab in 2007 on the occasion of a public lecture on Dark Matter, where I bought his book, "Dark Cosmos".  Now Hooper has evidence of Dark Matter. This is my take.

Fermi Bubbles were discovered by Fermi LAT. These huge, tens of thousands of light years, structures are perpendicular to the Milky Way Galactic Plane. Now Hooper claims  evidence in these bubbles, near the immense black hole in the center of our Galaxy, of new particles in the tens of GeV mass range. This is amazing!

When Arnulfo was my professor at the Centro de Investigacion y Estudios Avanzados, in Mexico, I decided to study at Earth based high energy laboratories, in my youthful mind, that was easier than Astronomy. Not intellectually, but practically. At Fermilab one controls everything, the source, the path, and the target; those conditions would leave, I thought, to more success. I was WRONG.

I hope to have Professor Hooper explain my students, why that is so.

In my mind, the reason is that, what one looses in control, is gained in size. The Galaxy is bigger than Fermilab.

No comments:

Post a Comment