$$\LaTeX$$ Formula Editor for Blogger

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Accountability and Corruption

Below you can read about white collar crime. At my university there is corruption also, and no accountability.

Today I remember one of my heroes, Ray Sawyer.

In the 70s he was the dean of graduate students when I got to UCSB; I dutifully reported to his office and we talked of his recent Physical Review Letters article, with Doug Scalapino on pion condensates.  That was great, fresh from the Physics Department at CINVESTAV, in Mexico City, and talking to such great, and unassuming scientist!

He had me. What a man.

Later in the 80s, I went to visit UCSB again. Now the issue was politics. One of my Physics buddies, Martin Smith, told me that the Chancellor resigned because of a leak by Ray. The chief was improperly taking money to furnish the Chancellor's house on campus, or some such. At the same time Ray had predicted how many neutrinos would hit the Earth, if a nearby supernova were to exploit, and voilà, there came Supernova 1987a. Right on the spot a few neutrinos would hit, and indeed they did. I was awed!

I will have to be several times more powerful than that Wizard Dumbledore, from the Harry Potter world, to fix things around here.

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment