$$\LaTeX$$ Formula Editor for Blogger

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Kepler-16

I am reading  a paper by the team that discovered Kepler-16 ( it is an eccentric low-mass eclipsing binary with a circumbinary transiting planet). I had the opportunity to participate in E-791, at Fermilab. Observational and experimental physicists devote a good deal of time analyzing methods. As a theoretical physicist, I must confess, I did not consider that much work all that necessary.

Now it is different. I do not believe that some precious formulas exist somewhere - out there - for some smart guy, or gal, to just grasp all of a sudden, and truth will be revealed.  I tend to believe now, that Theoretical Physics is an exercise in sophisticated curve fitting, maybe more like, program finding, to fit data.

To really convince my tribe of this view, I have to prove to their satisfaction, that the beautiful mathematics invented ( discovered?) to fit data can be obtained this way, the equations are: Einstein's General Relativity, Maxwell's Equations, and last but not least, the Weinberg-Salam-Glasow Standard Model of Elementary Particles.

The more I think about these tasks, the more I worry that nobody is going to believe me.

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment