$$\LaTeX$$ Formula Editor for Blogger

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Robert Brout

Robert Brout 

I am reading Englert's speech, at the Award Ceremony of the 1997 High Energy and Particle Physics Prize of the European Physical Society in Jerusalem. Now I understand a few things more about Robert Brout. First, the broad knowledge of Brout in Relativistic Quantum Field Theory, and condensed matter physics. Second why my professor Jean Pestieau went to Cornell for a postdoctoral position; and finally, why professor Brout accepted Jean's invitation to go to Mexico, where I met him.

What a pair of influential and honest guys. I just wish that Steven Weinberg would've been more fair in recognizing Brout's contribution.

On the conspiracy fringe - sometimes I like to be there - maybe Brout's rejection to stay at Cornell had a part to play, in Weinberg's misappropriation of Brout's work to Higgs.

Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment