$$\LaTeX$$ Formula Editor for Blogger

Saturday, November 19, 2011

93

My father was born 93 years ago today. He died, of a heart attack, the day before John Lennon, December 7, 1980, at the young age of 62; just my age today.

Reading Kristoff at the NYT right now, I feel overwhelmed. We live in a very unjust world. We let it become so.

My work, to honor my hero, my father, is to present as clear a view, as soon as possible, of how we do science.

This is for you Dad!

I read that a new Winston Churchill biography by William Manchester is available. He was the son of a noble man, and a poor  American woman who was a social ladder climber. The father and the mother did not stay close to him, it was a nanny who was in charge.

For my own reasons I feel that I am in a similar situation; my Mexican family was instrumental for the 1910 revolutionary war here. Some family members are wealthy because of that, but my father left his country, Guatemala, among other things, due to the social injustice still prevalent there. Here he was a poor man, helped by wealthy and powerful relative's of my mother, just like Churchill was helped by the coterie of "friends" her mother collected sleeping around on the aristocracy's beds.

I hope the contradictions in my own life, will lead me also, to good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment